At the beginning of the quarter we made mock ups for all different types of books, one of which was an accordion fold. aptly named because it unfolds like an accordion. I thought this was funny and so I drew an accordion on the cover of my mock up just for funzies.
Now we are working on a project called the innovative format mini. For this book the shape, or way that it is read has to reflect what is going on in the story. So I got this crazy idea, hey! what if I made an actual accordion?!
Oh! and I need a story... So I am a casual cellist and have some rudimentary musical knowledge. I wanted to write a script that had musical puns, but not in a comedic way, but rather a serious tone with strong wordplay.
I knew the story would be about an accordion, duh, and I knew that I would not have much time to work on the art as I would have to allocate a large chunk of my time to crafting. Therefore, I kept it simple.
I worked at a small scale because I could fit all interior pages on one sheet of white paper, and the paper craft cover on one piece of red paper. Saving on costs.
Here are the initial thumbnails
I printed these out in blue line and went straight to inking.
Here are the final Inks
Because I was already going to have a red cover I wanted to have red on the inside also so I colored the interior pages.
Then I went and got my pages printed
I cut them apart and scored them
Then I glued them together.
"Whats an INSRUMENT?"
gasp* I misspelled "Instrument!" I had to run to the printer before they closed and get the middle pages printed with the correct spelling. Luckily I caught it early enough that I could fix it, and the problem was on the middle of the three pieces so it was 'eaiser' to extract and replace.
Finally I attached it to the cover.
I started sketching out how I would build it. I love paper craft but sadly haven't done any in quite some time so I was happy to get back to it.
I made several mock ups working out the kinks.
Then I started playing with designs on the red paper. I liked how when I printed grey on the red it made it a deeper maroon, and decided to let the detailing be made by showing the red paper.
Then came the issue of the piano keys. I made a rubber stamp of a keyboard to stamp on the box. My favorite part of this is that it makes each on unique because the stamp responds differently each time.
Then I start to build the boxes. I found a way in my layout to tuck the interior pages up into the cover boxes for a clean "seamless" look.
To bring everything together I bought some 3"x3"x3" boxes to put the minis into, for safe transport and presentation.
I wanted to have something on the box so that the owner would know that the box went with the book and so I decided to make a musical score to glue to the inside of the box. Initially I was just going to make up some whatever notes, but I found this sheet music generator and it had a virtual accordion so I wrote an actual accompaniament.
Here is the score.
Each measure of the sheet music corresponds with a page from the book.
Here is rough video I made with the music playing along with the pages.
To cap it all off I made a little tag and tied the boxes with waxed thread to give it an antique look.
I am very happy with this Project and if you would like to purchase a copy I am going to start selling them at $10
If you want a copy, email me at email@example.com
Side note, I went to NYC last weekend and ran into an actual accordionist in Little Italy and gave him a copy that I had planned to leave in NYC as an impromptu art drop. He loved it and played me a short song.